UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

People from Unity and the No Borders Network are currently blockading the UK Border Agency reporting centre at Brand Street in Glasgow, shutting the vehicle entrance and preventing any ‘dawn raids’ that would have happened this morning. The blockaders are using a tripod to block the vehicle entrance and three demonstrators are locked to gates.

This action was carried out in response to a return to the bad old days of dawn raids on the streets of Glasgow – following several dawn raids on the homes of asylum seeker families in the past few months – and to the continued practice of detaining children.

In a dig at the UKBA’s attempt to justify their inhumane practices, one of those involved in the blockade said, “We have given them every chance to end this abhorrent treatment of families voluntarily. Unfortunately, they refused to take these opportunities, and our last resort is direct action ".

AttachmentSize
brandst2_21.11.11.jpg76.32 KB

Comments

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By Unity

And the tripod is still up as at 4.15 pm this afternoon - 10 hours!

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By Anonymous

impressive

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By CH

Have the Tories sold off the cutting equipment for scrap?

Unity wrote:

And the tripod is still up as at 4.15 pm this afternoon - 10 hours!

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By Anonymous

All demonstrators were released early this evening, and then sold on for workfare. :-p

CH wrote:

Have the Tories sold off the cutting equipment for scrap?

Unity wrote:

And the tripod is still up as at 4.15 pm this afternoon - 10 hours!

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By GB

Good work, folks!

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By Kia

Yay, nice one!

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By Anonymous

Link to YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl6hP7nNqfw

A report is getting written now that we've all recovered from the very early start yesterday but just wanted to say that our man up the tripod eventually came down at 5pm after being up there for a huge 11 hours.

Not only did he set the Govan record for longest time up a tripod but he seems to have set a new record for the shortest time in police custody - unbelieveabley for someone who had casued so much inconvenience and annoyance to the local constabulary he was released from Helen Street police station after only three hours during which he was given a medical exam and a meal!

All of the Brand Street four were released by 8 o'clock last night, no one was held for court, and all are due in court on 22nd December. We plan to be there in numbers to show our support.

:-)

UNITY!

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By Anonymous

Well done!

Re: UKBA office in Glasgow "dawn-raided"

By Anonymous

What happened to this:

Anonymous wrote:

A report is getting written now that we've all recovered from the very early start yesterday but just wanted to say that our man up the tripod eventually came down at 5pm after being up there for a huge 11 hours.